- organising coffee / hot chocolate for meetings
- recognising individual strengths and potential on a team, and fostering that
- treating them with respect and dignity
- fighting for "all of us"
- being nice (yes, can you believe)
- having a history in one's head
- paying for his holidays (OK, that was Wayne. Why Bremner didn't just make out my salary cheque direct to him to save the bank charges I don't know. I could have gotten more coffee that way.)
What I will miss about UCT:
- Some truly amazing students. Some that I've had the pleasure to teach, some I've worked with on committees, some who've worked in our labs and others I've just known around the place. Some linger on as Facebook friends, others as die-hard Facebook pokers and some reappear in the most unexpected places.
- Large echoey passages that amplify noise from outside lecture theatres or computer labs - or from those horrible hand-dryers - to damaging volumes, no matter how you try to block it out. Especially when the noobs arrive. And most especially when they're Commerce students during orientation.